Friday, May 27, 2016

Today was a warm and sunny 67 degrees on my walk through Ravenna Park. When arriving at my observation site I was surprised to see many of the horsetails that had grown almost four feet tall had been trampled or crushed by something or someone. Therefore there were a fair amount of dried out dead horsetails lying on the ground near my feet. There were also less salmon berries ripe for picking on the bushes around my spot. I was only able to find one ripe enough to let one of my friends that I dragged along with try. Many of the berries looked like they had been half eaten or already picked. The soft soil and mud that had existed in previous weeks was almost entirely gone. I was able to feel the ground squish beneath my feet as I approached the nurse log looking for salmon berries, but for the most part the ground was much drier.




While sitting at my spot I was only able to spot one bird fly across the landscape just above the tops of the salmon berry bushes. I believe it was a black-capped chickadee because of the black head and smaller size as I saw it fly by. It perched briefly on a hemlock branch and then quickly flew away further down the hill toward the creek where I was unable to follow it. I decided to leave my spot and search for a higher viewpoint, and while moving I saw an American Robin hopping along across the trail most likely looking for insects along the ground, but my friend and I approached it too quickly and scared it off. I was able to see its lighter almost mahogany colored breast, and larger sized torso compared to the chickadee. Walking along one of the upper trails a song sparrow swooped in and landed on a branch of a big leaf maple. It began to call out adding a few upward inflections at the end of the standard song. It then begun to fly rapidly between the branch it was on and another branch a few feet away on. To me it looked like either a territorial display or maybe a mating display, however I did not spot another sparrow in the area. Eventually some crows flew by and scared away the song sparrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment