Friday, May 20, 2016

It is Wednesday, May 18th. It is just after one, and its muggy and over cast here at Ravenna park. When first walking up to my observation spot, I was astonished at how large the horse tails had gotten. It has been three weeks since I had been back to my site, and the shrubs have overtaken the nurse log almost completely. If I did not know there was a nurse log ten feet in front of me, I would have never been able to tell it was there. The horse tails were getting so tall and thick that they have also started to engulf the low hanging branches of the western hemlock to my left. The biggest surprise was the amount of bright red salmon berries. I noticed many of the red berries were half eaten, but I found a nice red one, with no holes, and ate it. I was also able to recognize the sounds of a song sparrow singing, but could not spot it.



Horse tail surrounding Hemlock branches



He looks like he is wearing a crown, with a fuzzy black fur coat.
He’s moving from colorful throne to throne, bring a piece of each city with him.
He is a well-nourished king who is larger than all the rest of his subjects.
There is constant excitement following him throughout the air.

He is the Yellow Faced Bumble Bee!


No comments:

Post a Comment