Tuesday, April 12, 2016

This past Monday the 11th of April I found my way back to my chosen spot off the trail in Ravena Park. It was slightly later in the day, just after 1pm, than last week when I made my initial observations. The first thing that jumped out in my mind when initially arriving at my spot was the numerous amounts of crows that were present; much more so than the last time. The last time there were an abundance of different birdcalls, and now there were fewer and dominated by the sound of the black crows. The other thing that initially surprised me was how lower the branches on Western Red Cedar to my left were hanging. Something had pulled them down tremendously. I could tell this was a western red cedar because of the flat leaves and fibrous strips of bark. The Western Hemlock to the right of me also had some branches sagging but not nearly to the extent of the cedar. I could identify this as a western hemlock because of small cone, (see picture in blog post 4/4/16), the unequal length of the needles, and the smoother bark. These branches along with the more over cast skies led to some darker shades of green and brown. Despite being slightly darker, I also noticed that things were also drier than the prior week, probably because of the warmer weather we have been happening. Across the ravine the Big Leaf Maples have some more flowers blooming. I can tell that they are Maples because of the messy bark, lighter color bark, and the larger leaves.


The one square meter by my feet had some more root like plants open up, which I attempted to sketch. The mud that had been in there the previous week had also dried up slightly and I was able to step across it and take some close up photos for my sketches. There were still not many insects on the ground in that immediate one square meter space. 

Below are some of my sketches of the plants near where I was seated. 




No comments:

Post a Comment