Monday, April 18, 2016

It is Monday April 18th was my third time visiting my chosen spot off the path through Ravenna Park. I visited mid afternoon between the hours of 2 and 3. It was sunny and extremely warm today, probably in the mid to upper eighties. I did also notice some humidity in the air most likely due to the proximity of my spot to the creek that runs through the ravine. Now in addition to the trees, many of the shrubs are now noticeably larger and over grown. The fallen tree is now almost hidden by all the growth in the brush. One of the prominent bushes is the salmon berry; identified by its pink five pointed flowers and five leaflets shaped like a butterfly. There was also a large amount of both sword ferns that have longer leaflets that look like swords and lady ferns that have smaller leaflets that come to a point. There were also some of the branches from the western hemlock to the left of me (south) that are almost sagging down to the floor now. Additionally, there is now also an incredible amount of the common horsetail growing across the floor. The floor by my feet also surprisingly still had mud despite how hot and sunny it was outside. There were also few birds out. I did not hear any song sparrows singing in the sunshine.


There were not a whole lot of visible fungi or lichen in the immediate surroundings of my chosen spot. However I was able to venture to the south of my spot toward some Red Alders that had some lichen on the bark of the tree truck (picture 1 below). There was a little bit more sun in this slightly more open area. I was also able to spot a couple of fungi, one close to the top of a still standing dead tree truck and another on the side of what seemed to be a healthily living tree (pictures 2 and 3 respectively). There was also some pale green lichen that I found; one being on some small fallen branches and the other growing on some dead leaves on top of the soil on the forest floor (pictures 4 and 5 respectively). I was also able to find some small orange balls that looked like fungi on the side of a fallen tree trunk (picture 6). I was not able to identify these fungi, but looked like some insect egg slime mold because of the shape and bright color.








No comments:

Post a Comment